Although a person may have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, permittees are not authorized to carry the permitted weapon anywhere they desire. The weapon may not be carried in the following:
1. Areas prohibited by G.S. § 14-277.2 (Picket lines or demonstrations);
2. Areas prohibited by G.S. § 14-269.4 (Certain State properties such as courthouses);
3. Areas prohibited by rules adopted under G.S. § 120-32.1 (Legislative buildings);
4. Areas prohibited by 18 USC § 922 or any other federal law;
5. Any law enforcement agency or correctional facility;
6. Areas housing only State or federal offices;
7. An office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government;
8. Any premises where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice, or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises; or
9. School grounds under G.S. § 14-269.2, except permittees can secure their handguns in their vehicle on school grounds. (Note: Private schools reserve the right to prohibit firearms altogether.)
Permittees are specifically allowed to carry a concealed handgun in the following areas:
1. Premises where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed unless the premises is posted to prohibit the possession or carrying of firearms. Of course, the permittee may not consume any alcohol while carrying in this area. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-269.3;
2. Premises where a fee is charged for admission unless the premises is posted to prohibit the possession or carrying of firearms. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-269.3;
3. Parades and funerals unless the area is posted to prohibit the possession or carrying of firearms. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-277.2; and
4. Grounds or waters of a park within the State Parks System as defined in N.C. Gen. Stat. § 113-44.9.
As provided in N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-269.4(5), it is lawful for any person to carry a firearm openly, or to carry a concealed handgun with a concealed carry permit, at any State-owned rest area, at any State-owned rest stop along the highways, and at any State-owned hunting and fishing reservation. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.11(c).
Those individuals exempted from the prohibitions of carrying concealed weapons as set forth in Paragraph III. A. of this publication are not prohibited from carrying a concealed weapon or handgun on property wherein a notice is posted prohibiting the carrying of a concealed handgun, unless otherwise prohibited by statute.
Any of the following persons who have a concealed handgun permit are not subject to the area restrictions set out in subparagraphs 1-9 above and may carry a concealed handgun in those areas unless otherwise prohibited by federal law. These persons are:
1. A district attorney;
2. An assistant district attorney;
3. An investigator employed by the office of a district attorney;
4. A North Carolina district or superior court judge;
5. A North Carolina magistrate;
6. A person who is elected and serving as a North Carolina clerk of court; and
7. A person who is elected and serving as a North Carolina register of deeds. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.27.